5.08.2007

Nobu inspired

inspired by Jaden's Steamy Kitchen and Rasa Malaysia's posts using Nobu-style miso marinades, i decided to try the marinade with tofu. i didn't have sake in my pantry so i substituted with rice wine, and used the miso that i had in my refrigerator.



i had a question about the miso i had because the label was all in Japanese. only the ingredients and nutritional information are in English, everything else on the label is in Japanese. if you click on the picture above, it will take you to my flickr photo post, which has more info on the product provided by one of my flickr/blog contacts, Blue Lotus. i know this is definitely not white miso, as you can see, and it's "chunky style":



i used extra firm Soga organic tofu for the first time today. bought it at Trader Joe's, 99 cents for a 15.5oz package. the tofu came in a twin pack, convenient for when you need a smaller portion.

i really liked the results of my adapted miso marinade for the tofu, which i broiled.



Broiled Tofu with Nobu-Inspired Miso

1/4 cup rice wine
1/4 cup mirin
4 Tablespoons miso paste
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

1 lb extra firm tofu
Green onion slices for garnish

1 Slice tofu into approximately 1/4-inch thick pieces. You should get about eight pieces. Lay tofu slices on a tray lined with paper towels to blot out some of the moisture.

2 Meanwhile, bring rice wine and mirin to a boil in a small pot, allowing alcohol to evaporate.

3 Over medium heat, add miso paste, one tablespoon at a time. Blend in with a wooden spatula.

4 When the miso mixture has blended in, turn up the heat and add sugar one tablespoon at a time, stirring to dissolve sugar before adding the next spoonful. Remove from heat.

5 Baste one side of tofu pieces with miso marinade. Broil on lower rack of toaster oven for 10 minutes (or less depending on your oven). Turn tofu pieces over and baste with additional miso marinade. Broil for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.

6 Serve immediately, garnished with green onion slices.

i used the small amount of leftover miso marinade plus a dash of Bragg liquid aminos and a drizzle of sesame oil to season some soba noodles, mixed in some edamame, and topped off with green onion slices to accompany this wonderful broiled tofu.



Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At May 08, 2007 10:48 PM, Blogger SteamyKitchen said...

It looks delicious!!! I'll have to try with tofu now. I love tofu.

 
At May 08, 2007 11:17 PM, Blogger tigerfish said...

I've just had Jap buckwheat noodles today, as in what I ate today, not what I posted in blog. :)
The tofu with miso looks so nicely done.

 
At May 08, 2007 11:51 PM, Blogger Piegirl said...

Jaden ~ Thanks to you for the inspiration. I really, really liked this miso marinade. It worked very well with the tofu, and would work for chicken as well, I'm sure.

Tigerfish ~ Nice of you to drop in. How did you prepare your buckwheat noodles?

 
At May 09, 2007 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe, they look fablous! any pointers for taking pretty photos like you?

 
At May 10, 2007 12:31 AM, Blogger tigerfish said...

I did not make my own buckwheat noodles. Did you make your own?
I ate it the korean way - with spicy stew. Is that unorthodox?

 
At May 10, 2007 11:07 AM, Blogger Piegirl said...

Tigrfish - I've never made my own noodles...yet. I understand that soba is usually eaten cold, but I'm not sure. I think anything goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home